Don’t Be Fooled By Omega 3 Fatty Acids
So, you have finally discovered the benefits of Omega 3 Fatty Acids and what it can bring to your health and well-being. I’m very pleased for you because you are about to improve your health to the max!
As we all know, there are numerous claims floating around that alternative medicine and remedies can help to treat some chronic diseases and even prevent illness from occurring, but a lot of these claims are just hype! The same cannot be said about Omega 3 Fatty Acids though, as more and more studies are confirming the health benefits.
What Exactly Is Omega 3 Fatty Acids?
Omega 3 is an essential fatty acid that all humans need in order to function optimally. This means if you don’t get enough Omega 3 fatty acid in your diet, you could suffer from various health ailments. Although it is a fat, please don’t confuse it with the bad saturated fats, which are known to clog up the arteries and cause a range of illnesses. This type of fat does the opposite!
You need to find only a good quality fish oil with Omega 3 if you want to experience the full omega 3 benefits available. This is because some of the products out there on the market are just cheap fakes!
Avoid The Cheap And Nasty Products!
The reason to avoid these kinds of products is that you owe it to your health. Cheap products might be nicer on your wallet, but they may not contain the healthy ingredients you need to enhance your health and improve your well-being. Rather than improving your health, there are some products out there that can actually have a detrimental effect on it!
Bargain basement fish oil will often be contaminated and rancid. They may use fish that contain harmful heavy metals and other toxins, as those fish may have been caught in contaminated waters.
By comparison, good quality products will create their fish oils using a thorough cleansing process which removes any pollution and heavy metals that the fish may contain.
These cheap and nasty products may also not be the best possible sources of Omega 3. You see, different types of fish will yield different levels of Omega 3 fatty acids. Using cheaply-caught fish may mean the oil you buy will contain very small amounts of the healthy DHA and EPA you really want in a good product. These are what provide the majority of omega 3 benefits. More on these two later!
Another common complaint from the low quality products is ‘fish burps’. This is when the fish oil supplement you’ve taken repeats on you and produces an awful, fishy aftertaste. This is not a pleasant experience for consumers and even more so if the person doesn’t like the taste of fish!
If you were to purchase fish from a fishmonger, you would only buy the freshest fish possible. Let’s get serious here – fish doesn’t stay fresh for long, so you want to know the fish you buy really is fresh! The same can be said about fish oil supplements, the longer the fish sits on the shelf, the more rancid it becomes. By the time that fish reaches the oil production plant, it may no longer be any good at all. But cheaper companies will still create oil out of it!
Therefore, to get the best fish oil, you need to ensure that the product is as fresh as possible.
What You Need To Know About Fish Oil And Omega 3 Fatty Acids
The massive health benefit of consuming fish oil isn’t a new discovery. In fact, scientists and researchers first discovered multiple health benefits decades ago. Scientist started with their studies after they noticed that the Inuit people (Eskimos) had a very low rate of cardiovascular disease compared to all other Europeans.
People on a Mediterranean diet also showed the same positive results and the Japanese have one of the longest life expectancies in the world, yet Japan’s population has a high number of smokers….surprising?
All the above diets are rich in Omega 3 Fatty Acids!
Omega 3 cannot be produced within the body naturally, and it is, therefore, essential that you obtain it through your diet. Unfortunately, only certain foods contain Omega 3. This is found in mainly cold-water oily fish, but it can also be found in a few varieties of nuts and seeds.
If you are not a “big fish eater”, then it is likely that you are not getting enough of this essential oil and would, therefore, benefit from a good quality supplement.
DHA and EPA
DHA and EPA are two elements of Omega 3 that provide the main benefits found in fish oil. DHA stands for docosahexaenoic acid and EPA for eicosapentaenoic acid.
DHA provides huge benefits to the brain and is the building block of cells inside the brain, and also in the retinas of the eyes. It helps in the formation of neural transmitters which enables the brain to function correctly. DHA is also excellent for inflammatory properties, so it can help to reduce problems caused by inflammation. Additionally, it can assist with improving blood circulation and regulating blood sugar levels.
EPA is also important for improved brain health and cardiovascular health. Studies have shown that DHA provides slightly more benefits to the body, but they are both essential for good health!
A Deficiency In Omega 3 Can Greatly Endanger Your Health !
Certain health experts have now claimed that a deficiency in Omega 3 is a health issue of massive proportions which is affecting our current generation. They claim that a diet low in Omega-3 is on par with a diet high in trans-fats and a low intake of healthy foods, like fruits and vegetables. They even put a deficiency of this essential fatty acid on an even health level with drinking alcohol regularly in large quantities.
A diet rich in fish oil can help reduce the risk of many serious illnesses and conditions, including:
- Age related illnesses, such as dementia and Alzheimer’s
- Cardiovascular disease
- High Blood Pressure
- Blocked arteries
- Immune system problems
- Type II Diabetes
- Inflammation-related conditions, such as arthritis
By ensuring your diet is rich in fish oil you will be helping to reduce your risk of developing many of the common diseases that prematurely end the lives of millions of people each year!
And Now The Awesome Benefits OF Omega 3
Apart from helping to reduce the risk of developing some of the serious diseases and illnesses mentioned above, there are so many more omega 3 benefits to be had if you ensure a diet rich in fish oil.
Let’s take a look at some of those benefits now:
- Anti-Inflammatory – Omega 3 is a powerful natural anti-inflammatory and a good natural alternative to chemically-produced pharmaceutical alternatives that usually come with side effects. Due to these properties, it is a common supplement for sufferers of arthritis, as it helps to reduce inflammation that causes pain in the joints. It can also benefit many other illnesses where inflammation is the main cause, such as inflammation-related asthma.
- Cholesterol – Whilst saturated and trans-fats are known to increase levels of bad LDL cholesterol, Omega 3 does the opposite. Not only does it reduce levels of this bad cholesterol, it also helps clear the arteries of fatty deposits that can cause atherosclerosis. Both of these factors are a major cause of cardiovascular disease.
- Mental Health – This is another great benefit of fish oil. Not only does it improve physical health, but mental health too! Fish oil promotes the production of serotonin which allows you to feel good and happy naturally. It, therefore, is good for helping reduce symptoms of depression, bipolar disorder, and even schizophrenia. Not only this, but it can also improve memory and concentration.
- Healthy Skin – The key to healthy skin is the production of collagen and elastin in the body. Unfortunately, as you age the amount of these decreases and can lead to signs of premature aging, including wrinkles and sagging of the skin. The essential fatty acids in fish oil promote and increase the production of both collagen and elastin, keeping your skin looking younger and healthier for longer. What’s more fish oil is able to help your skin stay hydrated longer, so it also reduces dry skin and itchiness or redness caused by eczema or psoriasis.
- Type II Diabetes – People who suffer from Type II Diabetes are known to have low levels of the good HDL cholesterol and often have high levels of triglycerides in their blood. Omega 3 can help raise the level of good cholesterol whilst also decreasing the levels of triglycerides. It’s also helpful for regulating blood sugar levels in some people.
These Are Just A Few Of The Main Benefits; But There Are Much More!
Pregnant mothers are advised to increase their intake of fish oil during pregnancy. Recent studies have shown that it improves the development of the foetus, especially the brain. It may lead to increased ability in learning and concentration as the child grows.
What’s more, there is some evidence that fish oil can help to reduce the risk of premature birth, so it’s great for helping to keep the pregnancy itself as healthy as possible.
Checklist for Finding the Best Omega 3 Fish Oil
- When you are ready to buy the best fish oil you can find, there are certain things you need to ensure.
- The company needs to be well established in the field of fish oil.
- Excellent customer feedback needs to be available.
- The manufacturing of the product should never be outsourced.
- The fish oil needs to come from fresh fish that have been caught in clean, uncontaminated waters.
- All the ingredients used to make the supplements need to be listed on the product.
- No additives or fillers should be used.
- Only purchase fish oil that contains high levels of DPA and EPA.
Many manufacturers claim that their fish oil is the best Fish Oil With Omega 3, but once you do your research and dig a little bit deeper, it probably isn’t true.